I have a confession to make it. I spent the majority of this past weekend drinking Miller Lite (out of the cool retro cans, I might add) and no, I’m NOT ashamed. I played in two different golf tourneys and both courses had Miller Lite readily available and cold, so I drank it. It wasn’t too long ago that I would make fun of folks who spent a weekend in that manner. The beer snobbery was strong in me, but sometime in the past year or so that changed. It may have been sitting at Against the Grain around my birthday and having Sam (yes, THAT Sam) hand me a bottle of High Life (which I enjoyed, btw). Or it may have been hanging out with my siblings and drinking cans of Miller Lite and Tecate while shooting the shit and enjoying the far-too-rare time we can all get together. Regardless, there are a LOT worse things in life than drinking some mass-produced adjunct lager with people you care about. By no means is Miller Lite my favorite beer but in the right setting with the right people, it can be perfect in its own way. Moral of the story? Don’t be a beer snob (but keep drinking good beer when you can). On to a few other notes.
- I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again, Great Flood’s Brown Ale is fantastic. Yes, I realize that some say it’s more of a porter or a stout. Personally, they can call it a brown session table barleywine if they want and I’ll gladly keep drinking it. Fantastic brew.
- Speaking of local beers, the good folks at West Sixth made it on Draft Magazine’s list of “10 Foodie Beers” for their Lemongrass American Wheat. With my affinity for cans and the summer heat arriving, I’ll be drinking more of this little gem from just down 64.
- Sierra Nevada Hoptimum just showed up. GO DRINK IT. It doesn’t get the same amount of prestige as many of the big IIPA releases out there, but this beer can hang with most any. I’ll be getting more of this too.
- Victory Brewing is absolutely killing it. I know I’ve done more than my share to support them moving into the KY market, but I can’t help it. The combination of DirtWolf, Prima Pils, and Headwaters simply can’t leave my fridge. Summer Love, their hopped up golden ale, just showed up and is also mighty fine. Check them all out if you haven’t yet.
- I miss you, Against the Grain. I promise I’ll be back soon.
- You too BBC.
- To go along with my love for all things craft beer, I’m also a bit of a foodie and love cooking, especially when I can use good beer in the recipes (no wonder I’m built like a bear preparing for hibernation). For those of you who like cooking as well, check out this website. I have made many things from here and most are great. The beer brat pasta carbonara is a personal favorite of mine.
- Let’s get this straight once and for all. Beards are for manly men, not hipsters. It needed to be said.
- Several of us had dinner/drinks at the Exchange Pub + Kitchen in New Albany last weekend. Solid beer list and good food. Check it out if you are looking for a new gastropub to hipster watch in (yea, i’m on a mini-hipster rant and no i’m not going to apologize).
- I’ve now been to Hilltop Tavern twice and both times I was happy with the beer selection. No, it’s not mind-bending but being able to get Stone Go-To IPA in a dive bar is nice.
That’s all for now. Enjoy the holiday weekend folks.