Louisville’s local homebrew club, the Louisville Area All Grain & Extract Research Society (LAGERS) is having a brew-in at Falls City Brewing Co. on Saturday, February 28, 2015 beginning at 8:30 a.m. The event is open to all. So if you are not a LAGERS member or have never brewed, this is a great time to come and see what brewing is all about. The LAGERS members always enjoy showing off their brewing equipment and teaching new brewers the brewing process. More importantly, there is always homebrew flowing from the LAGERS jockey boxes.
In addition to the brew-in, Fall City is hosting a Brewing Competition in which the winner will have their beer brewed on Fall City’s commercial system, aged in a red wine barrel, and then sold at the Fall City tap room and taps throughout the city. While everyone is invited to participate in the Brew-In or simply come to watch, the competition is for LAGERS members only. If you think you have what it takes to brew with the professionals:
- Make sure your membership dues have been paid or become a LAGERS member by registering at the club’s webpage – www.lagersclub.com;
- Register for the competition on the LAGERS webpage;
- Brew a beer that can be judged in 6 weeks;
- Brew a beer that tastes delicious as is, but will also hold up to aging in a red wine barrel;
- Brew on site at Falls City on February 28th . (some exceptions will be allowed, just contact us before registering. Example: Your system runs on 220V power, not propane);
- Ferment using a dry yeast made commercially available by Safale. (pitches of S-04 and US-05 will be available at the brewery);
- Not use expensive adjuncts or sugar sources (fruit, honey, Belgian syrup, etc.). (contact Dylan directly if you are unsure about an ingredient);
- Limit the gravity of their recipe to 1.080 or 20 Brix;
- Agree to let Falls City brew your recipe commercially;
- Assist in a write-up about the beer for local advertisements;
- Be flexible to recipe adjustments based on ingredient availability and/or excessive costs.
FALLS CITY will provide:
- ~180F carbon filtered Louisville water;
- 110V power (bring your own cord);
- Water and splitters for chilling (bring your own hose);
- Pitches of house yeast (S-04 and US-05).
- You must submit 3 bottles per entry;
- Each bottle must be labeled as follows: http://bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BottleID.pdf;
- Entries will be judged by members of both Falls City and LAGERS. While experienced BJCP judges will be used, the beer does not need to conform to a specific BJCP style;
- Entries must be submitted to Dylan at Falls City Brewing Co. between April 6-10, with judging to occur shortly thereafter;
- Winners will be announced at the April 20th LAGERS meeting.
Remember, there is no fee to enter the competition; but you must be a LAGERS member and you must make every effort to brew on site on February 28th .
Saturday, February 28, 2015
Begins at 8:30 and ends when the brewing does.
Falls City Brewing
116 S. 10th St.
Louisville, KY 40202
For additional information contact Loren Prizant. firstname.lastname@example.org
LAGERS! We brew it, we drink it, we talk about it!
Vice President, LAGERS
Attorney, Middleton Reutlinger