A different barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout from 3Floyds will debut at the end of this month in Kentucky.
Blot Out the Sun (11% ABV) pours jet black after spending several months in a brandy barrel. The renown Indiana brewery’s Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout often tops international beer lists and enthusiasts are anxious to try this limited brandy-inflected offering. Copper & Kings American Brandy Co. challenged 3Floyds and several top brewers to create something unique, surprising and exciting in their used brandy barrels for their Lock, Stock and Smoking Barrels beer festival Oct. 30 in Louisville, Ky.
More barrel-aged beers headed to the festival:
- 3Floyds (Munster, Ind.) – Blot Out the Sun (11% ABV)
- Russian Imperial Stout. Pours jet black. Name taken from a quote from The Simpsons’ C. Montgomery Burns: “Since the dawn of time it has been mankind’s dream to blot out the sun.”
- Sierra Nevada (Chico, Cali.) – Trip On The Wood (ABV TBD)
- Part Imperial Smoked Porter already aged in 25-year-old bourbon barrels, part Scotch Ale blended and added to a brandy barrel with a hint of absinthe.
- Dogfish Head (Milton, Del.) – Black & Blue (10% ABV)
- Belgian-style Golden Ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries.
- Oskar Blues (Brevard, N.C.) – G’Knight (9% ABV)
- A hearty, dry-hopped Imperial Red. Tribute to Gordon Knight, a passionate craft brewer from Colorado that died in a helicopter crash while fighting a forest fire just outside of Oskar Blue Brewery’s hometown.
- Flat12 (Indianapolis, Ind.) – American Brandy Barrel Aged Walkabout (5.3% ABV)
- Single-hop Pale Ale featuring Galaxy hops from Australia. Walkabout delivers a big passionfruit aroma and flavor, with a nice hoppy finish.
- Falls City (Louisville, Ky.) – Brandy Barrel Heather Ale (5.8% ABV)
- Scotch Ale with heather tips aged in American brandy barrels. Earthy heather and caramel malt aroma.
- New Albanian (New Albany, Ind.) – Grape Expectations (9.5% ABV)
- American brandy barrel aged Belgian Strong Ale.
Plus more from esteemed regional brewers including Apocalypse Brew Works, Akasha, Monnik and West Sixth.
As a bonus – brandy aged in used beer barrels from Sierra Nevada, 3Floyds, Oskar Blues and Against the Grain will also be sampled at the event.
More at http://bit.ly/LockStockCK